Pages

Friday 27 April 2018

WWE In Saudi Arabia: My Thoughts

I was recently asked by Pink News to respond to the recent controversy surrounding World Wrestling Entertainments decision to hold a major PPV event, namely the Greatest Royal Rumble in Saudi Arabia in my capacity as the creator of Twitter fan page 'WWE LGBT'. I found it really difficult to write a response and be balanced! On one hand Saudi Arabia has a disgusting record when it comes to human rights, but on the other there are many in Saudi Arabia with more progressive views, and the WWE has been promoting equality much more in recent years. I think we need to be careful and try and see it from the WWE's point of view as well as the LGBT fans.

I don’t wish to be overly critical with regards to the WWE choosing to host the Greatest Royal Rumble in Saudi Arabia, but neither can I say I’m thrilled about the location of Friday’s event. There’s no doubt the Saudi regime has committed horrendous human rights atrocities and their treatment of women and the LGBT+ community is an absolute disgrace. For example just for being LGBT+ is punishable by death in Saudi Arabia, which is just horrifying.

I think through initiatives like the women’s evolution and more LGBT+ visibility the WWE is heading in the right direction when it comes to equality, and it’s clear they do not hold the same views when it comes to human rights. These things take time and patience is the key, as we know when we consider the wider women’s rights and LGBT+ rights movements. The WWE have a 10 year long deal to hold events in Saudi Arabia and as long as the WWE push for more equality including allowing the women wrestlers to perform, maybe we can see this as a potential way to promote more humane attitudes in the country.

I feel I can’t fully condemn the WWE’s decision, however nor can I fully agree with it, especially considering women won’t be performing, which is disgraceful and goes against the values which the WWE has been championing. From the debates around this issue on the ‘WWE LGBT’ page it is clear this is by no means a clear cut argument with fans divided over it. At the time of writing this a Twitter poll asking whether it’s right for the WWE to be holding an event in Saudi Arabia, shows 64% of 500 fans saying they believe it’s wrong for them to hold the event in the country. Meanwhile 24% think they still should, with 12% saying they’re undecided. Though I don’t think those on the ‘yes’ side of the argument are exactly thrilled about the idea either.

The arguments against the WWE’s decision are obvious and detailed above, it’s about Saudi Arabia’s appalling human rights record and the discrimination the women performers are facing, just by not being allowed to perform. The main arguments supporting the WWE are that if the WWE don’t go there how can they encourage and promote change. This was echoed by WWE Company Executive Triple H just days ago when he said “what you can't do is affect change anywhere by staying away from it”. I believe Triple H’s comments are sincere however we cannot forget that money will also be playing a significant part of this decision.

I think if perhaps the WWE hadn’t chosen such a big event, being that this will be the largest Royal Rumble in WWE history, with 50 superstars taking part, maybe this wouldn’t have been so much of an issue. But this is a major PPV event and I have no doubt it’ll receive massive viewing figures with some superb matches set to take place.

I should add these are my personal thoughts only and the ‘WWE LGBT’ fan page is not affiliated with WWE in any way. We are non-profit and just want to support and promote further equality within WWE’s programming. We have had contact from sources within WWE who are interested to see how the Twitter page develops and what fans from the LGBT+ community have to say, which I think speaks volumes about their commitment to promote positive change and further equality. I have been overwhelmed by the support the ‘WWE LGBT’ page has received in the month since I created it. I just really wanted to form a Twitter presence where LGBT+ fans and allies can get together and discuss how we can continue to support the WWE’s efforts to become more inclusive.

-Sam Willey

You can visit WWE LGBT on Twitter - @WWELGBT

No comments:

Post a Comment